The following constitute inappropriate modes of dressing by students which shall attract sanctions from the University:
- I am aware that, any student of the University found to be a member, sponsor, or patron of any secret cult shall be liable to expulsion from the University.
- I am aware that, the possession, carrying or use of arms, explosives and dangerous weapons of any kind by students on the campus is prohibited and any student found to be in possession of, carrying or using such arms or weapons shall be expelled from the University.
I am aware that, any student who threatens or conducts himself in an unruly manner capable of endangering the life of other students or members of staff or engages in any physical fight on the campus shall be liable to strict disciplinary action which may lead to expulsion.
- I am aware that, rape, assault, assault causing bodily harm, and threat to life are criminal offences and the offender after he has been expelled from the University, will be reported to the Police.
- I am aware that hard drugs, unlawful use and consumption of liquor and all alcoholic beverages on the campus by students are prohibited and any student caught consuming liquor and such beverages will be expelled from the University. Save and except as may be permitted for lawful use (upon prior consent and approval of the University for the purpose of academic pursuit or in furtherance of any research), none of the items mentioned above shall be allowed on the campus.
- I am aware that, any suspended student found within the University campus during the period of his/her suspension, except on the invitation of a statutory body of the University or officer so assigned to carry out such duties shall be summarily expelled.
- I am aware that, no mosque, church or any recognized place of worship on the campus shall be used as residence or for residential purposes by any student. I agree that any such building known or used as a residence or for residential purposes shall be closed forthwith.
- I am aware that the use of all auditoria on campus are subject to obtaining written approval from appropriate authorities and that all forms of students’ social activities that involve drumming and singing are to be restricted to the New Students’ Arcade.
- I am aware that the use of foul language is not allowed
- I am aware that all students’ religious activities including drumming and singing should be restricted to the Chapel or Mosque area.
- I am aware that any student found, defacing the University walls with posters or defacing or damaging other University property in any form or manner whatsoever, disrupting academic activities for whatever reason, taking over the work of security officers by locking university gates or similar entrances or exits on campus or hijacking vehicles will be liable to severe disciplinary action which may lead to suspension or expulsion depending on the severity of such misconduct.
- I am aware that students in breach of the regulations on inappropriate mode of dressing as specified hereunder shall be disallowed access to lecture halls, the Library and other official places. I am also aware that, lecturers and officials of the University have the right to deny attention to such students, deny them entrance to offices or admission into lecture or examination halls.
STUDENTS’ OFFENCES AND PENALTIES
- Wearing transparent dresses, mini and skimpy skirts/dresses, and other clothes revealing sensitive parts of the body.
- Wearing tattered, dirty jeans with holes or obscene subliminal messages.
- Wearing “baggy”, “saggy”, “yansh,”“ass level” and over length trousers.
- Wearing tight fitting apparels that reveal body shape and contours of the body.
- Wearing T-Shirt and Tops with obscene, obnoxious or seductive inscription.
- Wearing of loose tie, folding, holding and pocketing of tie.
- Wearing shirts without buttons, improperly buttoned, rolling of sleeves or flying collar.
- Wearing of face Caps or complete covering of face.
- Piercing of body and tattooing.
- Wearing of ear rings by male students.
- Wearing of nose ring, very big dropping ear rings and necklaces by female students.
- Wearing of distractive knocking shoes like stiletto heels to lecture rooms and the Library is frowned at and students may be denied admittance to such places.
- Plaiting, weaving, bonding of hair by male students.
- Knickers, tight shorts and slacks are allowed only for sports.
- Wearing of slippers is not allowed.
- Wearing of lousy, unkempt, extremely bogus hair or artificial hair.
- I am aware that where necessitated by circumstances security agencies can be authorized by the University to do a background check on me.
- I am aware that even after I have been awarded a certificate upon graduation from the University, the University Senate has the right to withdraw my certificate for reason of misconduct, where such misconduct will bring the name of the University into disrepute. Or, where it is discovered that such certificate was obtained by fraud, concealment or misrepresentation of certain facts which if had been to the knowledge of the University, the University would not have issued or awarded the certificate.
In line with the statute creating the Lagos State University, the prescribed sanctions that students who contravene the Students’ Code of Conduct may be liable to are expulsion, rustication or suspension.
Generally, students’ misconducts are of two types: misconduct amounting to a breach of Matriculation Oath and misconduct amounting to Criminal Offence. However, any conduct amounting to a criminal offence in Nigeria will automatically qualify as a breach of students’ matriculation oath and as such liable to punishment.
For avoidance of doubt, any conduct or behaviour that is at variance with the students’ code of conduct or in breach of the University rules and regulations as contained in the students’ handbook including all that are set out herein amount to a Breach of Matriculation oath.
THINGS THAT CONSTITUTE THE OFFENCE
- Possession, carrying or use of dangerous weapons
- Membership of cult groups
- Membership of illegal/unregistered association, club, society etc
- Sexual harassment
- Falsification of certificate
- Alteration of financial documents e.g. receipts of payment
- Extortion of money and other fraudulent practices
- Embezzlement of funds
- Misappropriation of Union/Association/Club/Society money
- Vandalism of University property
- Unlawful Assembly
- Impersonation (within and outside LASU)
- Use of textbook and notes
- Scribbling on any part of the body
- Use of scribbled notes
- Scribbling on materials such as pencil, ruler, eraser, calculator, desk, mathematical set e.t.c.
- Exchange of answer scripts/question paper
- Discussion during examination
- Use of cell phones
- Use of microchips
- Insubordination/disobedience to Invigilator
- Copying from other candidates
- Disobedience to constituted authority
- Rudeness to staff
- Physical attack on another person
- Armed robbery
- Illegal possession of fire arms and ammunition
- And other offences contained in the Criminal Law of Lagos State
Expulsion and prosecution by the Law Enforcement Agency
Where any of the above conducts constitutes a criminal offence either in Lagos State or in Nigeria, erring students shall be handed over to the Police or relevant law enforcement Agency.
Without prejudice to the above, nothing shall prevent the University from exercising its disciplinary power under the statute establishing same with respect to any conduct that amounts to a breach of the students’ matriculation oath. Therefore, such student shall be suspended until the final determination of the criminal investigation and trial against him by the appropriate government machineries or a competent court of law.